• Page:

TOPIC:

Spond 11 Aug 2021 20:08 #17622

• Mark Vevers
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi All,

The committee discussed Spond at our meeting tonight. The current guidance from Scottish Cycling and SportScotland is as follows:

"With the NHS Scotland Test & Protect system remaining in operation, all organisers of club, coaching and event activity should continue to record the attendance of those participating so that they can support contact tracers."

Since Spond is our mechanism for achieving this in a secure and GDPR compliant fashion we will have to continue using Spond for the time being. When the guidance changes we will review again. In the meantime there are some further changes to what we will be doing which move us closer to normality for the road section which the road reps will update the club on in due course.

Ride safe,
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Barton, Andrew Scobie (Scoobs), Chi kong Cham, Douglas Telfer, James Tierney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mark Vevers.

Spond 11 Aug 2021 07:31 #17621

• David Anthony
  • Thank you received: 5
Spond has been a useful tool to get group rides restarting during the pandemic, but I do think it is creating a barrier and in some cases putting people off rides, based on members I have spoken to.

Related to Nigel's point about deciding which ride to join when cycling down to the Peak (or even as the rides are being read out), some people just want to decide whether to ride at all on the day, weather being a factor, then decide which ride to do based on what appeals and how their legs are feeling. Without this flexibility, some people are put off altogether - you can see this by the numbers attending rides, certainly at the tempo / fast end.

I appreciate that it's helpful for ride leaders to get an idea of numbers in advance as well, I would assume this 'nice to have' rather than hugely important.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Tierney, Fraser Purves

Spond 10 Aug 2021 21:09 #17620

• James Tierney
  • Thank you received: 28
Go for it Lorna, hopefully group rides will be returning to 16 shortly. Gravel rides I suspect you could have even more if you wished being off road.

Spond 06 Aug 2021 10:18 #17616

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 76
The guidance has always been based on the Scottish Cycling guidelines, so if those have changed then the group size number can change.

Depends on the ride leader's preference, if they are happy with a larger number then go for it, if they aren't then set a lower number

I won't be increasing the MTB rides unless a waiting list is generated on a particular ride as I don't think a large group works on MTB rides (and it encourages me to talk even more which is never a good thing!).

The Quest for Singletrack is endless...

Spond 06 Aug 2021 09:50 #17615

• Lorna Macarthur
  • Thank you received: 1
Is there any club guidance on group sizes going forward seeing as Scottish Cycling have said organised groups are limited to 500 in level zero?

I have a gravel ride organised for Monday with a waiting list, can I just open it up to more riders beyond the original 12?

Spond 05 Aug 2021 05:47 #17614

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 56
Agreeing with Sandy where current restrictions prevented ad-hoc re-organisation of duplicate events (accommodate >12 riders) according to rider preferences (fast/steady ride) as well as unintentionally limting member interaction (Sandy's silos) / participation (Nigel's point about perception; my experience has been the Club/ride leaders have accommodated extra group demand very well), I believe Spond use can adjust as Scotland emerges from lockdown from next week.

Spond's group capacity limit can be increased to a significant value (e.g. 40 as with the TTs) to eliminate waiting lists and ride leaders will once again be given freedom to split groups >16 appropriately as before with the requirement for contact tracing of outdoor interactions removed.

Spond offers many advantages to the Club/ride leaders. However, my point about visibility of our activities along with collection of significant personal information for guest ride participation still remains.

Spond 04 Aug 2021 22:36 #17613

• Nigel Brooks
  • Nigel Brooks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17
Rides come up at different times and have to make decision days in advance on which group to go with, under old system I could decide on the ride into Stirling which group to ride with now I have to know days in advance how I am going to feel on Saturday morning: also it appears to me some rides are full as soon as they are posted up ; I don’t mind being left behind on a ride but I do mind not getting the chance to be left behind - you did ask what I don’t like about Spond

Spond 04 Aug 2021 21:36 #17612

• Sandy Grant
  • Thank you received: 48
Spond has certainly proven a useful tool in coping with the demands of covid restrictions and I acknowledge it has many advantages in the administration of events and coaching sessions. It does give a good idea in advance of 'demand' / turnout which might not otherwise be available. On the other hand, as covid restrictions lift, the necessity to create second duplicate events if an initial club ride is oversubscribed becomes a redundant administrative burden for both leader and attendees if it could informally reorganised on site as we did pre-covid.

My main concern is it may inadvertently contribute to a more fragmented club ( or at least more of a 'virtual' club) unless we move back to the main 'club run' on a Saturday, starting and finishing at the same place when covid restriction are lifted. The Peak meet-up is really the only regular place where all members can physically mingle and interact with others outside their usual riding group (even Corries is limited by space and times of arrival). I think there is more of a tendency to create 'silos' if everything is organised within apps.

We've spent the last 15 months leading enforced isolated lives. I think we need to make an active effort to come together again as a club.

My vote would be for again making the Forum the main common communication space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Tierney

Spond 31 Jul 2021 11:47 #17611

• James Tierney
  • Thank you received: 28
Regards away days go for it Nigel!
I wonder where members would like an awayday to?
Any suggestions?

Spond 27 Jul 2021 09:14 #17602

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Very true...so we might end up with people complaining about too much communication rather than complaining about too little...;-)

Absolutely agree that it is a balancing act - I'd flagged way back when Facebook was being discussed that it meant more places to update things (I was updating 4 online places, 2 Whatsapp groups and a text group for the rides I was organising - this hasn't really changed other than soon be growing to 6 online places, 2 Whatsapp groups and probably a text group), but not everyone uses the same channel, so it made sense to do the wee bit extra effort so more people got the message.

This is worth a chat in more detail as there are pros and cons to any solution, personally, I think it is good this is being raised as it helps get whatever the next solution to be the most benefit for most people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chi kong Cham

Spond 27 Jul 2021 09:08 #17601

• David Lindsay
  • Thank you received: 152
Richard, I understand the reasons for using it, and I already said I think it is great for organising rides.

But - it adds one more channel that we don't need for other communication and this will become problematic if we don't bring people back to the forum. And although Spond is great for organising rides, for some people that will be all they'll want out of the club, and so those people won't look at the forum again. So it will be more work for people who need to communicate with the members as they'll have yet another place they have to post in and monitor.

Spond 27 Jul 2021 09:00 #17600

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Just my view, but I dpn't think it is a mess, but it certainly isn't a single place to get the info. Members are using multiple ways of getting info - the website used to be seriously busy and everything got posted on it. Facebook got started and more people started using that than the website so things got posted on both places. Global pandemic hit and everyone stopped using the website and Facebook also quietened down.
Spond was introduced to manage the ride activities as a means of ensuring we were covid-compliant, this is still working, but as things start returning to normal, the other means of communication are also starting to get popular again - we just need to find a way to make sure it is all updated easily.
Which, I'm very much aware is very easy to say, but much harder to do...

Spond 27 Jul 2021 08:55 #17599

• David Lindsay
  • Thank you received: 152
I agree with all these points, Chi. I think it is great for organising rides but it dilutes our communication on other matters.

I've now had to post up a request for volunteers for tomorrow, not only here but on Spond too, and Steve has added a post to Facebook. It is a mess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chi kong Cham

Spond 24 Jul 2021 06:47 #17596

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 56
One consideration is the loss of visibility of all the weekend rides SBC offers (routes, distances, effort) via this forum through the public website. SBC will want to regrow the membership through guest rides and capitalise on increased interest in cycling over the lockdown period which means increasing visibility of what we do and lowering barriers to access (e.g. current need to collect personal identifiable information by Spond for guest ride participation).

There is no denying that knowing numbers of participants in advance helps the ride leaders plan ahead/organise, particularly as the weather gets worse and towards winter. Gill did post summaries of rides earlier in the year which was duplicated effort but could be the way to achieve both goals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Lindsay

Spond 23 Jul 2021 20:53 #17595

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Committee will need to discuss this but, personally speaking, Spond seems to be working very well. It makes organising rides very easy and also gives a great way of knowing numbers. I'm happy to keep using it, but if it wasn't needed then we'd need to find another way to organise the rides.

I'm curious to know what isn't working for you with Spond to stop using it?

Spond 23 Jul 2021 19:12 #17594

• Nigel Brooks
  • Nigel Brooks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi can I please ask if the Comittee propose to end this Spond stuff once Covid restrictions are lifted

Secondly does the Comittee have any views on organising away days ie should I just post something up on the forum if I get my act together to give one a go
Thanks

• Page:
Designed by the Club