Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sunday 9th Sept Away Day to St Andrews (And Back)

Sunday 9th Sept Away Day to St Andrews (And Back) 07 Sep 2019 19:33 #16533

• Alan Mein
  • Alan Mein's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks Andy - just saw that from Joanne’s post and have posted a Middle ride leaving Dunblane at 10am heading out west to avoid the Pek and also Solheim Cup disruption around Gleneagles.

Thanks!

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sunday 9th Sept Away Day to St Andrews (And Back) 07 Sep 2019 19:31 #16532

• Andy Massie
  • Thank you received: 37
High Alan, apologies for not posting to your proposed ride, Carolyn and I have been away. Would loved to have done the St Andrew’s ride, too long a day for me, would have to have left the home 5:30-6:00am.........on a Sunday!!!!!
Won’t be joining you what ever way but are you aware: Think the Stirling 10k starts at the Peak tomorrow. Regards Andy

Sunday 9th Sept Away Day to St Andrews (And Back) 07 Sep 2019 16:21 #16528

• Alan Mein
Well Chi, looks like we might need to save this for next summer with a bigger group!

I’ll check in again later about 8pm and if there are no more takers I’ll post a normal Middle Group leaving The Peak at 10am tomorrow

Alan

Sunday 9th Sept Away Day to St Andrews (And Back) 06 Sep 2019 06:47 #16521

• Alan Mein
Thanks Chi - that’s a great option for anyone who fancies one leg of the journey without having to do the full distance! Might encourage a few others to join in and I guess there’s always option for people to see how they feel at St Andrews!

So, would be good if people can indicate one-way or return!!

Names
Alan M (return)
Chi (one way)

Sunday 9th Sept Away Day to St Andrews (And Back) 06 Sep 2019 04:51 #16520

• Chi kong Cham
  • Thank you received: 35
Thanks Alan - great route and promising weather conditions. I'm going to bail out at St Andrews following lunch, head over to Leuchars railway station for the train back into Stirling. 71 miles in total.

Names:
Alan M
Chi

Sunday 8th Sept Away Day to St Andrews (And Back) 05 Sep 2019 22:44 #16519

• Alan Mein
I’m down to lead the Sunday Middle Ride this week but am proposing to do something a bit different and have an away day to St Andrews (& back) if there’s enough interest.

I’ll state up front I’m proposing this instead of a traditional Club Middle ride. This is a full day with a distance of approx 125 miles and approx 8 hours riding time (11-12 hours in total) with a stop in St Andrews for lunch. So I’d suggest a departure time of 7am from the Peak to ensure we are back at a reasonable time possibly for a beer or coffee at Corrieri’s!

The summer season is nearly over, the forecast looks pretty decent so if there’s enough interest in this sort of ride I’d be keen to take the opportunity before the winter season kicks in.

The ride is open to anyone who feels up to it and depending on numbers we can split if required but I’d suggest this as a middle’ish pace with allowance being made for the longer distance and so a sensible pace that can be maintained but key principle is - we ride at a pace that suits all members of the group.

I did this ride last summer with some other club members who were training for Coast-to-Coast and it really is a cracking route through some fabulous roads and scenery. There’s also a couple of options for a coffee stop part way to St Andrews. When we did it last year it was approx 8 hours saddle time and 11 hours in total allowing for coffee stops and lunch.

Here’s the Strava route: www.strava.com/routes/21559977

We normally only get a handful of people for a Sunday Middle ride but if there’s enough interest for the away day I’m keen to do it. Think we need 8-10 people to make it work so we can share the load.

So, if you’re interested, please add your name and I’ll review Saturday evening (8pm) to see if there’s enough interest to justify doing it. If not, I’ll revert to a traditional Sunday Middle ride. Apologies to anyone who wanted to do a Middle ride Sunday but worth checking back Saturday night after 8pm to see what’s happening. There is still the option of Gill’s Saturday Middle ride if you can make it.

Usual stuff applies but please make sure you bring plenty of food and fluids in particular.

It’s obviously a long ride but do-able!!

Names:

Alan M

Here is the route although this was from my house so you can knock off a few miles for a Peak starting point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Douglas Telfer

Last edit: by Alan Mein.
  • Page:
Designed by the Club