Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Time trial WhatsApp group

Time trial WhatsApp group 01 Sep 2019 22:07 #16510

• Nigel Brooks
  • Nigel Brooks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I expect to ride ,done it before
If you don’t ride on rubbish roads you don’t ride at all around here (or much of the uk)
I’ve not found traffic a problem in previous outings
Quite a few members have done confined tt’s and or been to chain gang this is great opportunity to put all that training into practice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time trial WhatsApp group 01 Sep 2019 21:27 #16509

• Katherine Wren
Dave, like the honest answers!!

Just one point, though, I've ridden this race most years and actually I don't remember ever encountering a coach during the race. Maybe I've been lucky, maybe it's because the women go off first or maybe because by October there are less coaches!

Take the point about the surfaces - one option is to use a road bike rather than TT bike - that's always been my approach.

Time trial WhatsApp group 01 Sep 2019 21:23 #16508

• David Lindsay
  • Thank you received: 82
"numbers of entrants from local SBC riders in recent years have been really low. does anyone have any idea why this is ?"

- I'm totally unfit
- the road surfaces are crap
- I'm not interested in dicing with tourist buses whilst descending the Duke's flat out on a TT bike
- I'm totally unfit

Time trial WhatsApp group 01 Sep 2019 21:10 #16507

• Katherine Wren
I'm signed up for Trossachs. It is, as Mark said, a great course to race. Christina M may be thinking of it, too. It'd be great if a few more joined us. Nigel, you're so close - are you coming?

Time trial WhatsApp group 01 Sep 2019 20:45 #16506

• Mark Leadbetter
  • Thank you received: 1
seems all quite simple to me . if you don't ride TTs you can't have an opinion !! . TTs are simple to enter ( well CTT ones are but SC, BC don't seem to encourage time trialing from what i've seen ) simple to ride ie batter yourself to bits and get a time - the clock tells no lies ! If an SBC rider enters a TT ( all riders get a start sheet ) can see clearly other SBC riders also entered and can arrange lifts and help etc - the wotapp group is just an extension of this system so obviously a good idea . the next big TT in this area is the classic hilly TT the tour de trossachs , its always the first sunday in october - a real classic race ( going since 1936 ) won by some notable riders such as an 18yr old Robert Millar in 1978 . its a great TT if you want to test yourself against world class riders . numbers of entrants from local SBC riders in recent years have been really low. does anyone have any idea why this is ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katherine Wren

Time trial WhatsApp group 26 Aug 2019 05:48 #16457

• Graham Brown
  • Thank you received: 78
I think Andy makes a good point. A list of all the WhatsApp groups on the forum that members can access is a very good idea.

I ride to drink!

Time trial WhatsApp group 23 Aug 2019 21:27 #16446

• Katherine Wren
Sorry Nigel, but I'm massively against the idea of a WhatsApp group. It is exclusive, as some of us do not own a device that can run it. I missed a lot of conversations about the TTT last year precisely because of this.
I understand the issues around privacy, but another way of doing it is to set up a closed section of the forum like the women's race team have/had. Also has disadvantages, but you can ask people via the forum if they wish to be members of it and all club members (assuming everyone has internet access) have the possibility of connecting to this.
Anyone doing Tour of the Trossachs, 6th October, by the way??

Time trial WhatsApp group 23 Aug 2019 17:10 #16442

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 42
Agreed...but the mtb side is (was?) dead and no-one was posting or talking on the forum or the club. Everyone is doing there on thing and the group was intended to try and pull people back to a central point (forum)...hasn't worked (yet!)...
I guess from experience the WhatsApp part actually didn't help at all in that sense - people are still riding their bikes, just not with people who aren't already in their group.

The Quest for Singletrack is endless...
Last edit: by Richard Barton.

Time trial WhatsApp group 23 Aug 2019 16:46 #16441

• David Lindsay
Agree that there are issues around people needing to be “in the know” to even be aware there’s a WhatsApp group. If I may take a turn with the Devil’s Advocate hat on, I don’t recall this kind of pushback to the MTB WhatsApp group, and at least Nigel has been open about his intentions by posting up on the forum.

All that said, an area of the forum that is only viewable by members may be a good compromise and we could see how that goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rebecca Barker

Time trial WhatsApp group 23 Aug 2019 16:16 #16438

• Andy Chambers
I joined last year and I've heard of a few WhatsApp groups but don't know how to join them and don't know who to ask to join. But I'd definitely be interested in seeing the kind of training folks are doing to be (somewhat) competitive in time trials. Don't think I'm there yet but hopefully next summer :-)

Maybe we could add a directory of whats app groups to the website?

Time trial WhatsApp group 23 Aug 2019 15:53 #16437

• David Lindsay
I think this explains how it will eventually end up...
Attachments:

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 20:40 #16427

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes, a section like that can be created...

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 20:38 #16426

• Norrie Petrie
  • Thank you received: 61
I can see benefits from both but would much rather members could see on the forum, but non-members couldn’t...... for the reasons described. Does Kunena Forum allow sections that can only be viewed when logged in? That would be middle ground and, I think, the best idea to keep things club based. (I’m aware of other WhatsApp chats, and with the best intentions, are not inclusive.)
Norrie
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Tierney, Rebecca Barker

Norrie P

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 20:20 #16425

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I am being positive, suggesting an open forum so everyone can find out and maybe decide to try one.
I don't tt, so it doesn't matter to me what is done, but given the number of members we have and the various disciplines we cover, I think it would be better to not have a closed group about another discipline.
If it means quicker chat between interested people then by all means go for it, but it might be better to compliment rather than instead of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rebecca Barker

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 18:21 #16421

• Nigel Brooks
Word of mouth
Let’s face it out if 200 members not many are doing tt’s (evidence numbers on clubs confined series, Emily and Brenda do a great job, )it won’t be for everyone but some might find it useful
Come on let’s give it ago , be positive

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 16:50 #16419

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Fair enough...but how would those interested in finding out info and sharing know how to join the WhatsApp group?

And if all this is being done in a closed system, how will new people get involved?

As I said, I'm playing Devil's advocate but there are pros and cons to both, but the biggest difference would be one is completely closed and the other open, so is going to encourage more people to try.

Please DO NOT post your phone number on the forum.

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 16:44 #16418

• Nigel Brooks
Richard I disagree information posted on forum is public I don’t want to give many details to non club members other WhatsApp groups works brilliantly for organising people to meet up and lots of other arrangements and don’t have to mess about logging in and telling the world what I’m up to

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 12:58 #16417

• Richard Barton
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Surely most of that stuff would be good on the forum? There might be people not on the Whatsapp group with an interest but maybe not entering as no-one else is...are you sure it won't replace the Forum?

(I'm just playing devil's advocate here)

Time trial WhatsApp group 22 Aug 2019 11:35 #16413

• Nigel Brooks
Hi
I am going to set up a WhatsApp group for those who time trial
This is not intended to replace the forum but provide a more private way to share information not for public viewing so share what events your doing, training, closing dates and which organisation I you enter with , requests/offers of transport etc etc ie to provide mutual support
There might even be a financial benefit at the Scottish 100 tt found out there were 3 club members riding we got £60 as second team- are we missing similar opportunities ?
If you want to join the group send me your mobile number and name , use the forum private messaging service and please bear with me I’m not the most techno savy

Anyone doing the tour of trossachs, still little time to enter
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Tierney

• Page:
Designed by the Club